Avoid Attracting Stinging Insects
The weather has been wonderful outside. The birds are chirping, the bees are buzzing, and while you are trying to enjoy the outdoor air, the wasps are driving you crazy. So much for a peaceful summer day. The stinging insects in our area can get very active and very aggressive as the warm season progresses. Yellow jackets, paper wasps, bald-faced hornets, and European hornets are the most common issues people have with stinging insects around Western New York. Their nests multiply quickly in the heat of the summer which means more stinging insects to keep you from enjoying your summer weather. Here are a few tips and tricks that you can do right now to lessen the attractiveness of your home and yard to these pesky creatures.
- Wear shoes, especially in grassy areas. You, your children, or your pets can unknowingly step on foraging yellow jackets and their first instinct would be to sting.
- Over-seed grassy areas to get better coverage, as this will deter ground-nesting insects.
- Move away flowering plants from your sitting area. We know they are so beautiful to look at, but they also bring in various stinging insects such as yellow jackets that feed off of insects resting on these plants.
- Remove garbage frequently and keep trash cans covered.
- Wash out the outside and inside of your garbage and recycling cans if any spillage occurs. Syrups and sugars are incredibly attractive to yellow jackets, especially as the summer season progresses and high numbers of workers are out foraging.
- Do not swat at a stinging insect as it increases the likelihood of an aggressive reaction.
- Avoid wearing sweet-smelling perfumes.
- Ensure all doors and windows in your home have screens that are in good condition.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you are stung, as reactions can be severe.
- Do not attempt to remove a nest on your own. If you have an infestation, contact your local Buffalo pest professionals at Eco Serve Pest Services.
We offer free inspections of your home and make recommendations based on your individual needs.